Receive our weekly newsletter that will be coming out soon! Click Here to sign up.
Sleep Hygiene Recommendations
- Have a fixed wake-up and bed time everyday
- Go to bed only when sleepy
- Wind down towards the evening by establishing a pre-sleep ritual. Pre-sleep rituals, such as warm bath, few minutes of reading, or participating in relaxation techniques can improve your sleep.
- Reserve bedroom for sleep and sex. Donít use the bedroom as an office, workroom, or recreation room.
- If you lie in bed for 15-20 minutes (estimated) and you are still not sleepy, then get up and do something relaxing in another room (solitaire with a deck of cards, reading a magazine, etc.) until sleepy then try to go to sleep again. Do not engage in stimulating activities such as watching television or working on the computer. Repeat this as necessary.
- Turn your clock away from your bed so you cannot see it.
- Exercise regularly, but not right before bed. Morning exercise is the best.
- Keep regular schedule
- Avoid alcohol before bedtime. If you take 1 drink allow 3 hours between drink and bedtime. Allow 5 hours for 2 drinks.
- Avoid caffeine 4-6 hours before bedtime.
- Avoid smoking near bedtime.
- Avoid napping during the day, except when needed to ensure driving safely
- Avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods 4-6 hours before bedtime.
- Use comfortable bedding. Uncomfortable bedding can prevent good sleep. Evaluate whether or not this is a source of your problem, and make appropriate changes.
- Keep the bedroom cool and dark
Click Here to download a printable list of Sleep Hygiene Recommendations